Yes - Fragile CD (album) cover

5 stars Man what a masterpiece. I've gone back and forth on what I think is the best Yes album, but I have to say that this is the one. Some people don't care for the little solo pieces, but they're good and short to boot, so what's to complain about? They serve as bridges to the epic classics. Is this the most commercially successful full on Prog album of all time? Probably, since some debate just how "Prog" Dark Side of the Moon is (I'm not one of those, its Prog baby!).

"Heart of the Sunrise" was the first song I really listened to -- I mean really listened -- that made me "get" what the big deal about Yes was, and frankly Prog Rock in general. How could anyone begrudge us Prog fans for enjoying the fantastical journey a song like "Heart of the Sunrise" takes us on? They'd call it pretentious or self indulgent. I say it gave me a certain musical thrill that no heartland rocker or punk rocker ever could, because they don't play complicated music.

Yes went on to make a couple more masterpieces and several more good albums, but this is them at their height. Their glory. Their Thick as a Brick, In the Court of the Crimson King, or Selling England By the Pound!

akajazzman | 5/5 |