Rick Wakeman - Rick Wakeman's Greatest Hits CD (album) cover

RICK WAKEMAN'S GREATEST HITS

Rick Wakeman

tuxon
1 stars I didn't know any of Wakemans solo material at the time I got this album, and because of this album I never looked much further (I only have return to the centre of the earth, which I like). The album sound flat and hollow to me, not much variety in sounds, and the pace is constantly the same and it drags on and on and on, endlessly like this sentence.

Disc 1 sees Ricks interpretation of some classic Yes songs, needless to say the originals are far more exciting, occassional the music gets better, but Rick isn't able to reach the depth and agility of the original songs.

Disc 2 are his own compositions, which I can't compare to the original recordings, I only knew the three last songs from his solo on the AWBH live album "An evening of Yes music....plus" There are some nice melodies here, quite good at times, but as I said it sounds flat and hollow, I would have liked it better had he used a normal piano, instead of this synthesised sound.

I can't recommend this album to anyone, like Bob McBeath said, it's nice when digests in small amounts, but to listen to it in it's entirety gets boring and tedious. Don't start your journey to Wakeman's music here, it will surely scare you away like it did with me. I'm ready to give Wakeman another chance, and I will try The Six wifes and Journey to the centre of the earth soon, but I'm a bit reluctant after this. Not Recommended.

tuxon | 1/5 |