Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream CD (album) cover

STUPID DREAM

Porcupine Tree

arcane-beautiful
5 stars Wow, this really is something.

To be honest when I first heard this album, I wasn't completely satisfied with it (maybe I was going through a weird phase), but listening to it for the second time, I really understand how much of a masterpiece it is.

This album is the start of the period of Porcupine Tree when they steered away from the psychedelic factors and strayed towards a more alternative style. Porcupine Tree Mark 2 lets say. It can be argued that The Sky Moves Sideways started it, but I think that this album succeeds the sound.

It's a much underrated masterpiece and some of these songs are the best songs they ever made (one in particular).

1. Even Less - Nice tune up intro. This song is amazing, with a very memorable riff, great lyrics and vocals from Stephen and some amazing mature instrumentals. The end is a bit weird to be honest.

2. Piano Lessons - Amazing pop song. The chorus has some of the best multi layered vocals I have ever heard. The video of this song is a bit weird and Steven looks way too much like Ed Byrne.

3. Stupid Dream - The sound of an orchestra tuning up, basically.

4. Pure Narcotic - Another amazing pop rock song with a great chorus. The lyrics are quite good as well.

5. Slave Called Shiver - One of those weird songs that these guys have. It's not bad, it's actually amazing, but there always is one of these.

6. Don't Hate Me - Does this song have anything to do with Hatesong off of Lightbulb Sun. Great song, goes on a bit, to be honest, but still very feet tingly.

7. This Is No Rehearsal - One of the more folk like songs on the album. Relaxing and very soothing.

8. Baby Dream In Cellophane - The perfect mix of psychedelic and more pop roots, very early Pink Floyd influence.

9. Stranger By The Minute - THE BEST SONG THEY EVER MADE! Really, this song is so beautiful in so many ways. The vocals are the best layered vocals I have ever heard. I always thought that Michael Jackson was the king of multi layered vocals, but Steven Wilson comes a close second. If you haven't heard this song, then you need to hear it. They never played this song live, and they're stupid not to.

10. A Smart Kid - Another psych influenced song. Amazing and very spacey. Apparently it's Mikael from Opeth's favourite song.

11. Tinto Brass - A weird free like jazz instrumental with some amazing flute and saxophone parts.

12. Stop Swimming - A nice but weird end to the album.

CONLCUSION: A very underrated masterpiece. If you have never heard Porcupine Tree before, buy this album, if not the, then defiantly one of their best.

arcane-beautiful | 5/5 |