Dream Theater - Train of Thought Instrumental Demos 2003 CD (album) cover

TRAIN OF THOUGHT INSTRUMENTAL DEMOS 2003

Dream Theater

Valarius
2 stars This album is the perfect example of why Mike Portnoy and the Dream Theater guys created the 'Official Bootlegs' line of album releases. Whilst 'Train of Thought' is an amazing album, this doesn't quite give me the same satisfaction when listening to it.

Now, this isn't a bad album, but it's not really something I think I'll listen to very often. It's more a case of 'It's Dream Theater, I MUST own it', but when it comes down to it I'd much rather listen to the actual ToT album itself.

At times it's easy to tell that Portnoy and Petrucci are the ones running this band, because the guitars and drums are pretty loud in comparison to the keyboard and bass. In fact, it's pretty near impossible to hear all the keyboard solos on this record.

However the main reason why this album isn't 'good' is because the songs aren't completely the same as what I'm familiar with on the ToT album. Different arrangements, a couple of rather sloppy guitar solos and a few mistakes from Jordan Rudess make this something strictly for diehard fans.

Valarius | 2/5 |