Liquid Tension Experiment - Spontaneous Combustion CD (album) cover

SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION

Liquid Tension Experiment

Valarius
2 stars Here is a record which I think would have been much better off if it was marketed as a Jazz-Fusion album. As it is, being under the Liquid Tension Experiment banner (minus one member, which explains the 'Trio' bit), 'Spontaneous Combustion' will only ever get the attention of Prog Metal fans who will be severly let down when they discover this isn't a Dream Theater shred-fest.

I'm not going to lie, not being much of a Jazz-Fusion guy myself, I find this a very hard album to listen to, and although I was well aware of what I was getting myself into, I only got it because it was LTE and it belonged in my collection.

As it is though, the music itself isn't terrible, and with the exception of the first track, which I really like, most of the record really just makes for good background music, occasionally picking out some nice moments or impressive sounding passages.

The musicianship itself is as impressive as ever, and it actually does make a nice change to hear a Dream Theater-related project sound nothing like Dream Theater, and if nothing else this record simply goes to show how great these guys are at what they do. In fact, I find the most annoying thing is that these guys' improvisation is still miles ahead of anything I could spend hours working on.

Overall this will be a great purchase for Fusion fans, and Dream Theater fanatics who are open- minded enough to try something different. It won't be the star attraction of my collection, but it's something I'm glad to own and will go back to from time to time.

Valarius | 2/5 |