Transatlantic - SMPTe CD (album) cover

SMPTE

Transatlantic

Valarius
4 stars Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Neal Morse (Spock's Beard), Pete Trewavas (Marillion) and Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings) have joined together to show the world what a supergroup should look and sound like.

The album opener, 'All of the Above', measures in at 30 minutes long, and could easily be described as perfect. A very well paced and orchestrated song, full of epic music and memorable lyrics. Easily one of my favourite songs and the true centerpiece of this record.

'We All Need Some Light' and 'Mystery Train' are both shorter songs at around six minutes each, and whilst WANSL is a beautiful, melodic song, MT is a very Proggy rock song.

Then we have two more long songs. 'My New World' is probably the weakest track on the album, but at 16 minutes long it's still pretty epic, and 'In Held ('Twas') In I', which is a fantastic song. I won't pretend to be a fan of the original song, but the Transatlantic arrangement is so obscure and random, it reminds me of early Genesis.

There appears to be a natural chemistry between these four musicians, with each member playing off of each other with ease, and sounding like their having fun in the process. And it's great that all four of them sing (although no doubt Morse is the main vocalist).

All-in-all this is a fantastic Progressive Rock album, and one everyone should own. I'd recommend it just for the opening track, but the whole album is pretty much awesome.

Valarius | 4/5 |