Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

4 stars On the previus album, The least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other, Van der Graf, have allready shown that they have a unik aproach to Prog. music, and made a point that they should belong up there with King Crimson & Gentle Gaint, as those prog. artists thats got the dare and ability to evolve the 70's prog. rock scene, with hard to get into recordings, of high quality. With "H to He, Who Am the Only One" they just make it even more evident. The underlying organ/piano foundation, makes a base for some of early prog rock's most interesting sax arrangements. Some very beautiful flute, and good vocal preformance, reminding me of early Bowie works (a compliment). The Compositions themself, may not be as interesting to me, as those of the other prog. giants of the time, but the arrangements on the other hand are often supreem.

Elements that deserves special mention: "Killer" the sax playing here, oh dear! This is an great opener indeed. "House with no door" A nice ballad all together. Showing the full protential of the vocalist. "Emperor in His War Room" The addition of Fripp's guitar on this track, make it worth extra attention, and also showcase to me, what kind of energy im sometimes missing on the other tracks. "Pioneers Over C." Especialy the mid to last part, VDGG at its best.

The downside to this recording is that sometimes it all becomes too theatrical for my taste, but I do generely get personally moved by what im listning too. Important album in the early development of prog. ? 4 stars

tamijo | 4/5 |