Vienna Circle - White Clouds CD (album) cover

WHITE CLOUDS

Vienna Circle

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars It took me a long time to get used to this album, really. I had it for a long time but at first it didn´t strike me as anything really special. It was maybe too modern pop, like a more progressive version of a Radiohead or a Coldplay (but with better vocals and a real guitar player). However, after repeated listenings I was drawn to their fine musicanship, excellent songwriting skills and the subtle arrangements. The concept is quite interesting and original too. This project by the brothers Davies duo (plus drummer Russel Wilson) takes some time to get into, but it is worth it.

After some time I found myself enjoying more and more White Clouds. It´s a fine tapestry of sounds and so well done you might not get the excellent keyboards and guitar interplay, the shifting moods and the briliant (but discreet) perfomances if you´re paying due atention. But once you do, you´ll be reward with a quite melodic and interesting trip to the past, telling the story of an english guy facing the horrors of world war one. I really don´t think it sounds like anything Marillion or even Neil Morse have done as far as I´m concerned (a little Pink Floyd here and there is ok, but not much either). Neo prog? I don´t know...And yet their work is quite good and, being their first, has quite a personal sound.

I don´t know if I can call this album a real masterpiece, or even essential, for the average proghead. It is however a strong debut and I really hope those guys have plans for another shot at least. They surely made a very melodic, convincing and bold debut and it makes you wonder how far this talented duo can go. If you´re into melodic prog with fine, subtle instrumentation and good songwriting, go for it! Final rating: something between 3,5 and 4 stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |