Metallica - St. Anger CD (album) cover

ST. ANGER

Metallica

Valarius
3 stars Going against the popular opinion here, I have to say I really like 'St. Anger'.

Everyone knows of this album and what makes it so bad. The atrocious production, the blasphemous drums, the rather cheesy lyrics, the lack of guitar solos, Hetfields rather strained voice... the list goes on and on. But for all its faults and wrongdoings, the music itself on this album is still pretty fantastic.

I was sixteen when this album came out and was at the time a huge Metallica fanatic. When it was released I was not bothered at all by 'minor technical faults' such as production, and so I was left to enjoy nothing but headbanging madness.

Of course, as I grew older I now appreciate music production more, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I love the tunes on this album.

And whilst we're all familiar with 'Frantic', 'Some Kind of Monster' and 'The Unnamed Feeling', this record has some unknown gems such as 'Sweet Amber' 'All Within My Hands' and 'Shoot Me Again' which don't seem to get any recognition at all.

In truth, there is no point me trying to sell this album on anyone, as by now I figure everyone has made up their mind about it. But I'm happy with it. Sure, it has its problems, but it's different and unique and I enjoy it all the same. And the extra DVD of the band playing the album in the studio make this a nice little package.

Valarius | 3/5 |