Led Zeppelin - Coda CD (album) cover

CODA

Led Zeppelin

thehallway
2 stars Just as codas are rarely the best part of a song, the same applies to careers.

It's bad, but surely no one actually expected it to be good. This wasn't Jimmy Page saying "Hey, we decided to save all our best material for after our drummer's death". It was purely a release of spare 'ITTOD' cuts and various odds and sods, for anyone who may have been interested.

Some of the early stuff was omitted from previous albums with good reason. And the then- recent Stockholm offerings lean a little too much towards punk for my liking. I think even people who like punk would be put off by 'Dinosaurs' attempting it. The Bonham tribute is nice, but I'm glad it didn't push it's way onto any significant LZ albums. And I am puzzled by the inclusion of a VERY early recording of 'I Can't Quit You Baby'. What have the bluesy early days got to do with a 1982 release?? Sure it's good, but there must have been something more appropiate [more recent] in those Atlantic vaults.

It really is only neccesary to buy this album if you are a completionist. Or if it's cheaper than something by Robert Plant...

thehallway | 2/5 |