Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude CD (album) cover

Ozric Tentacles

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars I really believe Ozric Tentacles are an essential part of any progger's discography. But when it comes to singling out that one essential and defining album, matters are less obvious. None of their albums really stand out above the rest. They're all very closely related, in form, style, sound, and even in quality.

If I really had to chose, I'd go with the majority and pick Erpland and Jurassic Shift as the most inspired efforts. The Strangeitude album sits inbetween those two and while it's a very strong record it has a hard time claiming an individual identity. The Ozrics sure did try to make it a bit different. There is a stronger emphasis on their entrancing dance beats. No matter whether they are rocking, funky, dub, techno or inspired by World Music beats, this stuff simply grooves all the way! The title track and the Passport-inspired Sploosh that once served for a BMW commercial, are good examples of the Ozrics trance qualifications.

Middle-eastern rhythms and Arabic scales feature abundantly as well, Bizarre Bazaar is a great example of it. Other characteristics are the liquid guitar solos and washes of space-synths that seem to come straight out of Gong and Hawkwind albums. Fans of the early Porcupine Tree albums should find a lot to appreciate here.

Strangeitude is a great album that almost reaches 4 stars for me. But I'm sure the Ozrics won't mind I'll round it down to 3. After all, in the galaxies that they inhabit, there's a zillion of stars already.

Bonnek | 3/5 |