Stevan Kovacs Tickmayer - Cold Peace Counterpoints CD (album) cover

Stevan Kovacs Tickmayer

4 stars Well, this is a tough one to listen to if you're not into new avante guard/RIO stuff. Dense, yet very palatable. I like it a lot.

Stevan Tickmayer is quite creative, and isn't guessing (although I enjoy some of that also) at his notes. This is precise sound scapes in the avante guard mode, with Stevan playing all the instruments. I will say that, although some of this style of music is quite "cold" - this isn't, as it compresses beauty and warmth into a flow of "cold passages" without giving up its humanity.

If this isn't your cup of tea style, this isn't for you...but for those of us proggers that somehow go down this path of challenging music, this is one of the best, as is its creator Mr. Stevan Kovacs Tickmayer.

BTW - if you want an introduction to him, and this style of music, yet don't want to go out there as far as this album takes you, try "The Science Group" - which is a group that includes Chris Cutler...

tmay102436 | 4/5 |