Fates Warning - Inside Out  CD (album) cover

INSIDE OUT

Fates Warning

Valarius
4 stars Often (unfairly) referred to as 'Parallels Pt. 2', I think this is a truly underrated album which has so much more on offer than being a mere clone of their previous release.

I've no problem admitting that the music and production here is very similar to 'Parallels', but that doesn't make it a weak effort at all. In fact, seeing as this would be the last FW album to have this sound (their next album would head towards a different direction), I feel the band have really peaked here with this line-up.

Musically the album is full of what you'd expect from these guys. Interesting guitar harmonies with tasteful solos, thought-provoking lyrics masterfully sung by Ray Alder, and Mark Zonder really takes his drumming to the next level. The songs are a nice combination of beautiful melodies, crazy time signatures and riffs that could only Jim Matheos could think of.

The only reason I give this album four stars is because the shortest two songs are pretty weak compared to the rest of them. But the highlights include 'Pale Fire', 'Monument', 'The Strand', and one of the my favourite Fates Warning songs, 'Outside Looking In'.

Though some might argue this opinion, I definitely believe this is one record everyone should have in their collection.

Valarius | 4/5 |