Evergrey - Recreation Day CD (album) cover

RECREATION DAY

Evergrey

Valarius
4 stars The first time I heard this album, what attracted me the most was that this band has a lot of elements similar with Symphony X, only they are a lot more depressing, moody and atmospheric. But that's a good thing, right?

This album is about as heavy as you can get whilst still maintaining a sense of melody, which is mostly due to Tom Englund's powerful and emotional vocals. But make no mistake, as progressive as this music is, first and foremost it is heavy. And I mean heavy.

The songs have a nice mixture of crushing guitar riffs accompanied by melodic and classical sounding keyboards, and are held tightly together by some very solid drumming. There is also a nice ballad track and an acoustic song, so song styles and tempos vary, making for some great dynamics throughout the album.

Very dark, gothic and disturbing; there's nothing pretty about this album, and that's pretty much why I love it.

Valarius | 4/5 |