Primus - Tales From the Punchbowl CD (album) cover

TALES FROM THE PUNCHBOWL

Primus

Valarius
4 stars I was first introduced to Primus when a friend played me the classic 'Wynona's Big Brown Beaver', to which I reacted with complete hostility and confusion. But something about that song made me go back to it in my own time, and that confusion quickly turned into the knowledge that I'd stumbled upon a group of extraordinary musicians.

'Tales from the Punchbowl' has officially converted me into a Primus fan. Although it took a while to understand and appreciate the genius of this band, I'm glad I stuck it out. The odd music, the completely random yet intelligent lyrics, the humour... everything works here on some artistic level or another.

The main tracks here for me are 'Professor Nutbutters House of Treats', 'Mrs Blaileen', 'Southbound Pachyderm', 'Over the Electric Grapevine' and of course 'Wynona's Big Brown Beaver' (a song that became so popular that the band would end up hating it). But the album flows so smoothly that even small, comedic, filler tracks such as 'Space Farm' and the infectious 'De Anza Jag' are notable songs in themselves.

As amazing as it is obscure, the best way to describe this album is King Crimson meets Rush, and how can that be anything but awesome?

Valarius | 4/5 |