Three - Revisions CD (album) cover

REVISIONS

Three

Tarquin Underspoon
2 stars I was introduced to Three via The End is Begun. I loved that album, and I still think it's great. I then explored Wake Pig. It was not as good, but still a solid 3 stars. A bit like Alternative Rock meets Prog, these two albums. So naturally I was intrigued when I heard that this album was coming out.

The problem is, this might as well be from a different band. This album is merely a "revision", as the title suggests, of several older songs in their catalogue. These songs, however, sound as if Three was a straight-up alternative band in their earlier days, and the re-recording of these songs does little to improve the music itself. There are a few notable tunes here, including my favorite, "You've Been Shot" (which is a type of odd acoustic funk-rock that only Three can pull off). These memorable moments are few and far between, however. Something about this whole concept of going back into your past to re-record songs from a phase that you have passed does not appeal to me, and I cannot help but think that it is a step backward for this band.

As a fan of their 2 latest "real" albums, I cannot reccomend this album to anyone who is not already a big Three fan. If you want to get into this band, check out either of the aforementioned albums. They are worthwhile. I'm sorry, Three, but "Revisions" was largely a waste of time for me.

Tarquin Underspoon | 2/5 |