Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

4.29 | 1978 ratings

Valarius
3 stars After their previous two albums, which I found to be quite disappointing, Yes finally release an album worthy of their name, with a fresh sound and a stable line-up that fans will come to recognize as vintage Yes.

The opening track 'Yours Is No Disgrace' is easily one of my favourite Yes songs, and 'I've Seen All Good People' has endured as one of Yes-fans most beloved tracks. But sadly the other songs just aren't so great. I mean, they're not terribly bad or anything, they just don't have the same fire and enthusiasm as the tracks I mentioned. 'The Clap' and 'A Venture' feel like nothing more than delightful fillers, and although 'Perpetual Change' and 'Starship Trooper' are good, they're just not all that special to me.

The bonus tracks are also a bit of a waste. Although the two 'single versions' are good songs, they're nothing more than the original song played halfway through. Although the 'Clap' studio version is a nice touch.

Overall this is a good album that firmly places Yes on the map. It may be far from my favourite Yes record, but it's definitely the start of something special.

Valarius | 3/5 |