Mostly Autumn - For All We Shared CD (album) cover

FOR ALL WE SHARED

Mostly Autumn

Prog Folk

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars I first heard Mostly Autumn through their third efford, The Last Bright Light. It was a real fine record and I still think it is their very best to this day. As it is my wont with everything I like, I had to find their other works to buy. . And Their debut was the next I could get a hold of in the record store. It was expensive but I bought it anyway (the cover was great!). At the time I was quite disappointed when I heard it. And after a few spins I rarely put it on my CD player. When I decided to write a review, I started to listen to For All We Shared again and nowadays I can say I was a bit premature on my judgement.

Ok, it is no masterpiece. Their mix of Celtic Music and Pink Floyd was not yet fully developed. This record tends much more to the traditional folk path then on the prog rock vein. the one great exception is of course their greatest tune ever: Heroes Never Die has that timeless feeling any classic song must yield. Its a great epic and its always a joy to hear it. Even with all my disappointment at the time I had to admit this was a hell of a fine tune! There are other good stuff here too, but unfortunatly the poor production does not help them much. this is one MO album Id love to see remastered.

Still, I get the feeling tjat the more I hear the CD the more I like it. Maybe because nowadays Im starting to enjoy prog folk a little bit more than I used to. And if youre into that then youll surely like these songs. All the right elements of the famous Mostly Autumn sound are here. Not very well mixed, but still they are here and, most of the time, they work. A very nice work. Rating: something between 3,5 and 4 stars. Ill give it four because I finally found the nice melodies on it after all this time and I think its a worth addition to any prog lover collection, specially the ones that like some celtic music on it.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |