Peter Hammill - Over CD (album) cover

OVER

Peter Hammill

The Truth
5 stars I'm a sucker for albums like these, I really am.

Peter Hammill's emotional solo album from 1977 is really one of those albums that you have to have an acquired taste for. It's not his best work by any means but he didn't go into it wanting that. He wanted to vent and venting is what he did. The man apparantly just had a scarring breakup and he had some things he needed to let out and that is the kind of album I'm a sucker for. The one's that are just pure emotion, they don't even have to be prog (this one isn't prog alot of the time). The way Hammill releases this emotion is just pure beauty, and if you can relate to the lyrical theme you are going to be taken for a ride.

I can relate to the lyrical theme (boy can I) and that is the main reason this is a masterpiece. This will not be a masterpiece for everybody, I guarantee it, but for those who are just coming off of a breakup that is leaving you weathered, give this album a spin. You'll love it.

The Truth | 5/5 |