Think - Variety CD (album) cover

VARIETY

Think

Krautrock

Mellotron Storm
4 stars 4.5 stars. An interesting lineup here with three Germans, two Hungarians (brothers) and a Czech. The German lead guitarist was a big fan of KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD while the drummer was into LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH. The three non-German musicians were Classical musicians. They called themselves THINK because of their interest in a thinking audience. Vocals are in English and the music is in my opinion very moving and Psychedelic in nature. PINK FLOYD is the band I thought of most often. Lots of organ, guitar, flute and viola.

"Variety" opens with gentle guitar as flute and viola join in. Vocals and organ follow. It turns jazzy after 1 1/2 minutes. Great sound a minute later. What an amazing song ! "Watercorps" opens with relaxed guitar, bass and drums to start. Vocals join in as the organ floats in the background. Flute comes in and it sounds so good. Viola after 2 minutes. Another incredible track. "Drops" is the best one of all in my opinion. Experimental intro then laid back guitar and drums lead as the vocals join in. Very FLOYD-like here. It kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. A nice flute / bass section 3 minutes in then the guitar starts to solo. Nice. It's experimental again before 5 minutes as themes are repeated.

"Draw Conclusions From..." is the longest track at 14 minutes but my least favourite. I still think it's great though. A beat with flute and guitar as vocals join in quickly. Organ follows. We get a Blues section after 3 minutes until after 5 minutes then that earlier sound returns. Best part is after 7 1/2 minutes as the flute and organ lead. Viola follows. Nice bass too. "Last Door" opens with the door squeeking open as guitar, bass, flute and percussion take over. Vocals too. A calm after 1 1/2 minutes. Nice. It picks back up a minute later to end it. Cool tune. Two bonus tracks here.The first one "More Drops" is an earlier version of "Drops", while the other is "All That I Remember". The latter is fairly catchy with vocals. Nice guitar solo 1 1/2 minutes in. Actually the guitar is more the focus here than on the other songs.

I'm very tempted to give this 5 stars because I like it so much, but in reality it's not quite that good. Still this is one amazing Krautrock record. It makes me feel really good.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |