Comus - To Keep From Crying CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

4 stars I bought this LP back when it came out, purely on the basis of the instrumentation and the "guest artists". I had never heard of the group or its now-legendary first album. Since it was on the Virgin label, I expected something similar to other acts on that imprint. I couldn't get into it at the time (the vocals were just too high-pitched!!), and sold it after a couple of listens. About 10 years ago, I heard and bought "First Utterance", and wished that I had kept that LP. Then, a few years ago, I found a guy at a record convention who was selling burned CD's of his scratchy LP, and bought one for $5. Listening with a different attitude, I liked the album a lot more. I see it as an attempt to be more progressive and commercial than the first album, and I like almost half of the album. To me, if there are several good songs on an album, it's a great album. Never mind "cohesiveness" or "consistency". That's why there's a "Program" function on CD players. I only listen to songs I like. I would certainly love to see this get an offiicial release.
soundsweird | 4/5 |