La Maschera Di Cera - Petali di fuoco CD (album) cover

La Maschera Di Cera

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4 stars I'm surprised that Nightfly's is the only review of Petali Di Fuoco here on ProgArchives. I might be wrong but it seems to be getting over-shadowed by the recent Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno album. Hopefully that situation will change in the near future. Anyway, there are 10 tracks in total here that are mostly around 5 to 7 minutes in length. This is exciting, passionate music that focuses on the interaction between vintage keyboards (Mellotron, Moog, organ) and flute, as on the instrumental PHOENIX. Guitarist Matteo Nahum plays a largely supporting role although he has some great solos throughout the album, most notably on the dramatic closing song LA NOTTE TRASPARENTE.

Nahum also gets the chance to shine on 4.18, which is a short Horizons-style acoustic interlude. IL DECLINO is slightly heavier than the rest of the material and, along with tracks like the jazz-tinged DISCESA, provides a bit of variety to the proceedings. La Maschera Di Cera write some great songs (I haven't even mentioned the album's five best tracks in this review), and in Alessandro Corvaglia they have a vocalist in the best red-blooded Italian tradition. I need to be careful with my recommendations but I think that if you enjoy Symphonic Prog, and if you don't mind Italian vocals, then you should enjoy this. It's already shaping up as one of my favourites of 2010 and if you're an RPI fan you really should have this.

seventhsojourn | 4/5 |