The Ashqelon Quilt - The Event CD (album) cover

THE EVENT

The Ashqelon Quilt

Steve Hegede
4 stars ASHQELON QUILT are a young 3-piece prog band from Israel, and "The Event" is their debut CD. The band's music mixes mostly British-prog influences with psychedelic-laced vocals (in English). They also enjoy to add Celtic and Middle Eastern influences to their compositions, and I also hear neo-prog sounds every once in a while.

If I was to come up with a good description of this band's sound I would say that if you took JETHRO TULL's lighter medieval/Celtic moments, mixed in Syd BARRET-like vocals, including female vocals, then you would get something similar to ASHQELON QUILT. The lyrical style recalls the late-60s psychedelic rock scene, and have a naive quality that might not appeal to hardcore prog fans. Out of the 9 tracks on the CD, the first six, and the last track, are high-quality. The other two tracks feel more like filler.

Overall, I would recommend "The Event" to fans of bands like YOKE SHIRE, RAISON DE PLUS, BREAD, LOVE AND DREAMS, and JETHRO TULL's newer music.

Steve Hegede | 4/5 |