Ian Anderson - Divinities: Twelve Dances With God CD (album) cover

Ian Anderson

Prog Folk

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
2 stars Classical theology?

Is this a presentation of Ian Anderson's pluralistic theology with 12 different gods? Or is there only one god that different traditions dance with in different ways? The track titles are our only guides as this is an entirely instrumental work. This is not to be confused with a Jethro Tull album, Divinities: Twelve Dances With God is Anderson going at it all by himself backed only by a Classical orchestra and some discrete keyboards by Andrew Giddings. The lead instrument is the flute throughout, so don't expect any guitars, drums or other Rock elements here; whatever else it is, this album is 100 % non-Prog. But it is not quite pure Classical music either; some parts are perhaps a bit closer to New-Age territory. Pleasant, but rather unremarkable. I myself is in the grip of much stronger stuff!

If I ever invite some cultural snob to dinner, I can imagine playing this album quietly in the background. It might perhaps also work to get a young child to sleep! But I doubt I will ever have a reason to play this again. Even Vangelis has made more eventful and dramatic music than this! Still, this is a very professional recording and far from poor. It is much better than, say, Tony Bank's attempt at Classical music with his Seven.

Strictly for fans and collectors of everything Jethro Tull-related.

SouthSideoftheSky | 2/5 |