Clearlight - Messenger Of The Sun CD (album) cover

MESSENGER OF THE SUN

Clearlight

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars What a pleasant surprise.

I expected a toothless new age album here. It is my impression that Clearlight deviated in that direction after the four first albums. But in the case of Messenger Of The Sun, this is not the case. Yes, there are a lot of new age meanderings here. In fact, more than half of this album is new age stuff. The other half, on the other hand............

The other half of this album, and pretty good integrated with the new age melodies, are pure jazz. Jazz like Return To Forever and the likes of them. That means pretty intense jazz which weaves itself around themes and improvises melody lines. Music that makes my heart sings with joy. Talking about vocals........... there is none here. This purely an instrumental album. It is pretty well structured too.

My only gripe, and it is a major one, is that the new age stuff could had been shortened down a lot. Cut off twenty minutes of this album and you have an excellent jazz album with some good references to the new age genre. But then again, Cyrille Verdeaux is the king of the new age genre. I am not fond of this stuff so twenty minutes of this album is pretty much a waste of my time. But this album is still a great mix of new age, jazz and symphonic prog. It is also a suitable movie soundtrack. In short, if this type of music is your music, you should own this album. I have my reservations, though. But this is still a very good album in my view.

3.5 stars