Threshold - Dead Reckoning CD (album) cover

Threshold

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Dead end

Dead Reckoning is, at the time of writing, the latest studio release from Threshold. It is also the last album they will ever do with Andrew "Mac" Dermott on vocals as he tragically passed away recently. As such, this album constituted the end of the Mac-era that lasted for more than ten years and produced five good studio albums (including the present one). There is a new studio album currently in the making that will feature original Threshold vocalist Damian Wilson. With all the respect for Mac, I must say that I greatly prefer the early Threshold albums and especially those two that featured Wilson (Extinct Instinct and Wounded Land). So I am naturally excited about the upcoming new album.

But what then about Dead Reckoning? Well, I have criticized the previous three Mac-era albums (Subsurface, Critical Mass, and Hypothetical) for being a bit too similar to each other and too closely following an established formula. Dead Reckoning at least partly shows some desire to break away from this formula and introduce some new elements. As such it is a more interesting album than the previous three. It is a little bit more aggressive and energetic. The growling vocals by guest Dan Swan÷ on two tracks certainly created some controversy. I am not personally a fan of that kind of singing, but it is kept very discrete and adds a new touch to Threshold's sound.

The highlight for me is the excellent Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams that occasionally sounds a bit like Queen with tasteful piano-led passages and a strong vocals from Mac. This almost ten minute long track is, in my opinion, the best individual track the band has produced since Mac joined the band--if not ever! But the rest of the material here is not bad either, though some tracks feel formulaic.

Another good Threshold album, but far from the best

RIP Mac