Threshold - Hypothetical CD (album) cover

Threshold

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Turn on, tune in

The fans of Threshold are divided when it comes to the respective merits of the various eras of the band. A common view seems to be that the band's best period started when Andrew McDermott (or Mac as he is often called) joined the band for the recording of the previous Clone and that they then peaked with the present album and its follow-up Critical Mass. While it is hard to deny that this was the start of Threshold's most stable period (continuing until Mac's recent and very tragic death), it is not at all in my opinion their best. My personal favourite Threshold albums are the two ones with Damian Wilson on lead vocals, Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct. The reason is not that I dislike Mac, not at all. The reason is rather that I find the band's first four albums inventive, original, fresh, and exciting, while Hypothetical and Critical Mass come across as formulaic and predictable in comparison. Hypothetical is filled with polished, melodic Prog Metal by the numbers. Good music, but no surprises.

I am particularly disturbed by the sometimes overly catchy choruses that are in abundance on the present album. This emphasis on choruses makes the music a bit too catchy and melodic for my taste. This also makes the music less adventurous and more conventional (and, dare I say, commercial).

Good, but for me this is far behind the brilliance of the earlier albums

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |