Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

3 stars Freak out! Maybe the greatest "Acid Rock" album ever. Listening to this makes we wonder if I was on LSD when this came out, what a grand trip it would have been. Could have been a Hawkwind release in many ways. This is pretty much of a Barrett album and it shows. The highlight here for myself is "Astronomy Domine", maybe the true prog song offered up on Piper. The shorter songs have the signature (for me anyway) Barrett touch of oddness. Good at times, bad at others, sometimes just annoying. (By the way, I am a later Floyd fan in the Animals/Wish You Were Here vein). This is a good opening to a great career for Pink Floyd, and I enjoy it more than the followup Saucerful of Secrets. 3 stars.
mohaveman | 3/5 |