Yes - Drama CD (album) cover

4 stars Some people think that Yes without Jon Anderson singing is just not Yes. While I do agree that his voice IS the voice I think of for the band, this album proves that they are still a great band with or without him. And DRAMA is better than TORMATO or 90125 whcih come before and after. (And has a REAL Yes cover, which they don't!) Trevor Horn fills in nicely (although I have read the tour with this album didn't work so well), for Jon Anderson and Squire, White, and Howe are steady and skilled as always. I don't think Downes measures up to Wakeman, but then who does? He still does a fine job. Highlights: "Does it Really Happen", "Into the Lens", Tempus Fugit". Lowlights: "Machine Messiah". Not that it is a bad song, it just has never thrilled me and seems to overplay it's welcome. This is not a masterpiece, but it falls in the Yes pantheon somewhere around GOING FOR THE ONE in my mind. Great, but not perfect. 4 stars.
mohaveman | 4/5 |