Billy Cobham - Shabazz CD (album) cover

SHABAZZ

Billy Cobham

40footwolf
4 stars Hot damn, what a performance! Billy Cobham's drumming is at its absolute peak on this album-better than he was with Miles and, dare I say it, even better than his work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Billy rips into his drums with speed and precision comparable only to Buddy Rich-if that sounds like a gross exaggeration, listen to the first few minutes of the title track. And the great thing is, it doesn't let up: Not once during this 40 minute recording does Cobham's drumming become anything less than relentless. The other musicians preform admirably as well, even if the keyboard playing does sound a little dated and silly in places, but you're here for Billy's drumming, and you won't be disappointed.

The level of energy in this album is completely ridiculous. If I'd heard stuff like this when I was younger, I'd probably have gotten over my prejudices against jazz much sooner than I did. Check this album out if you want to hear a master playing at his dizzying peak. And hey, it's only 3 bucks on Itunes! What are you waiting for?!

40footwolf | 4/5 |