Porcupine Tree - Deadwing CD (album) cover

DEADWING

Porcupine Tree

Prog_Traveller
3 stars 3.4 stars really!

As much as I like and respect Porcupine Tree I am going to try to be totally honest in this review. Earlier tonight I finished listening to this album for about the third time or so. I might regret making some of these comments after repeated listens but for now I have to say I'm not that impressed with this album especially when considering the great albums the band has made prior to this one. For me this album just doesn't have many memorable moments and that's probably my biggest gripe. Nothing really stands out. The funny thing is this was the breakthrough album for the band. It was their first album to appear in the top 200 billboard charts(#132 in fact and yes silly as it seems I do follow that kind of stuff sometimes, out of curiosity). I even saw them on this tour and remember them filling about 85 percent of a 1,300 seat theater. This was not the usual prog crowd but many young folks in their late teens and twenties. Not a bad thing in and of itself but I got the feeling many of them probably didn't even know what prog was let alone the bands history.

So despite the fact that this album undoubtedly introduced PT to a much wider audience it is a step down for me. No, it's not horrible. It's not bad. In fact it's pretty good for what it is. I'd even go so far to say it's very good but it just doesn't stand up very well compared to most of their earlier albums. That said think of it as the same way you might think of Yes's tormato, Genesis "duke" or "trespass" or Led Zeppelin's "in through the outdoor" or "presence." In other words even their stuff that isn't that good is still pretty good. Actually, for me anyway this is one of those albums that gets better as the album progresses. The last three tracks on here(not counting the hidden bonus track which is really a remake of an older song anyway)are imo probably the best ones on here. So it least the quality doesn't drop off. As for the sound of the album, I'd say that it sort of picks up where "in absentia" leaves off. That is to say there are several mellow parts but also more heavy parts. While In Absentia had some scattered heavy moments here and there this one jams out more in a heavier direction longer but I still wouldn't consider this metal. I'd say the follow up album "fear of a blank planet" is even more metallish than this one. With this album Porcupine Tree are sort of like a blend between Rush(the heavier moments of that band)and Pink Floyd.

So if you like a little metal with your prog or a little prog with your metal then this album is for you although it really isn't a true metal album and some might say it's not true prog either. One thing is for sure though and that is that it is true Porcupine Tree even if this is not their best effort. What does that mean? Apparently, it means whatever Steve Wilson wants it to mean. They are a band that is always changing and always reinventing themselves, even if only in subtle ways sometimes, from album to album. Not an essential album from Porcupine Tree but if you are already a fan it's definitely a must have and not just because of the PT label but after all is said and done it's still a pretty decent album over all. If you are new to PT start with In absentia or maybe stupid dream. Save this one for later.

Prog_Traveller | 3/5 |