Orange Peel - Orange Peel CD (album) cover

Orange Peel

4 stars 4,5 stars

Orange Peel were among the pioneers of the Krautrock movement in the 70's. They recorded only one album, but I think that it was really ahead of its time, at least compared to what other german rock bands were writing during that era. Recorded in 1969 and released in 1970, the self-titled record of Orange Peel is a real gem. There is an intense psychedelic atmosphere (especially in the longest tracks), dominated by the roaring guitar of Leslie Link and the heavy keyboard playing of Ralph Wiltheiß.

The most exciting about this album is that they have a unique style. If you think about the rock scene in Europe during the late 60's, this conclusion is inevitable. Besides, the album is progressive rock from start to finish, with a very good sound (Dieter Dierks once again).

"Faces That I Used To Know" and "Tobacco Road", the two smaller songs are both very good, but the higher level of "We Still Try To Change" and especially "You Can't Change Them All", the 18 minute opening epic, is quite obvious. If the aforementioned tracks were more experimental and psychedelic, this would be in my top-10 Krautrock list.

DeKay | 4/5 |