Egg - The Polite Force CD (album) cover

Canterbury Scene

4 stars Egg is in fact Arzachel without Steve Hillage's guitar. Excellent Canterbury scene keyboardist Dave Stuart's guitarless trio. Their second album The Polite Force is more complex, better played than the debut, but in fact contains similar kind of music - keyboards led slightly psychedelic progressive jazz rock with strong symphonic influence.

Stuart is one of greatest Canterbury keyboardist ever, so almost everything he plays is really good music. The year is 1971, and it's a great time for such music. If you like keyboard-led great melodic prog with some fusion complexity, just go for this album! I am not sure if guitarless compositions are enough finished for my year (or possibly I just searching for some spices in that music), but listening it with pleasure, I sometimes just wanted more accents, more dynamics, more ... something. What doesn't mean this album isn't good. Possibly not great, but really good.

And I really like winds quartet on " Contrasong" as well as great Mont Campbell vocals there.

My rating is 3+, rounded to 4.

snobb | 4/5 |