Henry Kaiser - Those Who Know History Are Doomed to Repeat It CD (album) cover

Henry Kaiser

4 stars Holy crap! The theme song to The Andy Griffith show has lyrics? Who knew? (On a side note, old Andy is still alive and kicking as I write this because I saw him in a commercial recently.)

My first encounter with Kaiser non-Willhelm was a duo album with my man Frith. It was a best difficult listening music. And with friends like these...

But, I ran across this browsing at a local record store (they still make those?) and decided to give it a try.

Why do I get the feeling this one of Henry's more accessible albums? To be honest, I haven't had the courage to dig much deeper into his work, (other than French Frith Kaiser Thompson) but I really liked this one and still do. What an eclectic set of covers this is. Theme songs, Grateful Dead (at last they are on this site indirectly, ah ha ha ha), Captain Beefheart tunes???

I think what gave me the courage to try this one was the covers of Beefheart songs l like A Carrot Is A Close To A Rabbit Gets To A Diamond, which I knew and really liked. Plus local Atlanta guitar legend Glenn Phillips and Dixie Dregsman Andy West on bass.

What can I say? One of the albums that makes a good case that the '80's didn't totally suck.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |