Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight  CD (album) cover

AFRAID OF SUNLIGHT

Marillion

zravkapt
Post/Math Rock Team
2 stars This is the only Marillion album I have ever owned. I got this at a used CD store. I only wanted it to hear "Cannibal Surf Babe", a song I read was "A cross between the Beach Boys and Motorhead". Oh Yeah! This was in the late '90s before I had internet access. If I wanted to hear a song I read about, I would have to buy the CD. It was the only song on the album that did anything for me. I later bought a 2-CD 'best of' compilation hoping to get into these guys more. Apart from "Cannibal" and the song "King"(both from Afraid Of Sunlight), the only other song I liked was "He Knows You Know" from the Fish era.

Fish-era Marillion sounds too Genesis derived for my taste. I thought that the Hogarth era, although wimpy, had more of a sound of it's own. Because of these guys I never really attempted to get into Neo-Prog. But who knows, maybe there is a Neo-Prog album out there that can can kick me in the balls with it's perfection. I just haven't heard it yet. "Gazpacho" is the only other song here that I even remotely like. The rest sounds like ever so slightly proggy soft- rock. I like the samples of John Lennon talking.

3 good songs on a very mediocre album from a band I never really cared for. I thank the internet for saving me thousands of dollars. If I bought albums by every group that was ever hyped to me as somehow important: a)I would miss a whole lot of good music, and b)I would have starved to death years ago. If you like this kind of music, it's okay, you're not a bad person. You just have different tastes in music than me. 2 stars.

zravkapt | 2/5 |