Peter Hammill - Thin Air CD (album) cover

THIN AIR

Peter Hammill

The Truth
5 stars This album is a grower. May that be my opening statement.

At first, I knew that this album was not a classic VDGG album (like everyone was hoping) but I still thought that there was something appealing about it. Now I see it clearly.

The inspiration this album stems off of is the theme of disapperance which is the first time I think that theme has been explored in an album. Nevertheless it makes for some of Hammill's strongest lyrics and most emotional singing since the seventies. The backing music isn't quite as prog and there is a seemingly singer-songwriter atmosphere about the album. Yet, deep in the sound somewhere, through all those lyrics of desperation and disappearance, I think I hear a vague tone of hope in Peter's voice. A strange effect is drawn over me and I go into a sort of mental state that only this album can produce.

It's a sort of odd album in some aspects but it is a masterpiece of music in my opinion. Hammill keeps up his prolific profile into the new millenium and does it extremely well. He never ceases to provoke my thoughts.

The Truth | 5/5 |