Willowglass - Willowglass CD (album) cover

WILLOWGLASS

Willowglass

ZowieZiggy
3 stars The only reference I can suggest here is an instrumental comparison to Trespass some thirty years after this great album.

Each of the genuine parts of this essential album is present: subtle fluting, gentle acoustic guitar and some good mellotron. What I am lacking is the drama of the lyrics, the ? absence of vocals. If you have read some of my reviews, you probably know that I quite like instrumental works (or at least passages), but with this sort of music; a few words might have been welcome.

This is at times too much derivative: "Tower Of The King's Daughter" (hi "Watcher"). When you look at the album cover, you have almost understood the content: pastoral English music. With a slice of a symphony.

The problem with such an album is that you get quite soon burned out with such content. The miracle of a couple of songs can't be repeated for long and at the end of the day, the music turns out to be quite average in terms of compositions ("Into The Chase").

I rate this album with no more than three stars. The more I listen to it, the less I can find any originality in here.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |