Echolyn - Mei CD (album) cover

MEI

Echolyn

Prog_Traveller
3 stars I might be in the minority of those who do not believe Mei(I believe it's pronounced like May)to be Echolyn's masterpiece or a masterpiece in general. It's certainly not a bad album but it just doesn't excite me that much either. I've listened to it about four or five times so far and I still don't really know what it's about. I don't usually pay much attention to lyrics but with Echolyn I find it's one of their strong points. There are probably more instrumental breaks than I initially thought but nonetheless this albums sounds like one long 47 minute song complete with lots of singing and lot's of changes in mood and melody. It is these changes that prevent it from being too boring but for me it's not enough to grab my attention. There's nothing here that really stands out and makes me go wow. There are some high points though. There is one moment about 30 minutes into it or so where it sounds like it's going to end but it doesn't. It just starts over again with a softer sound that again develops and carries the rest of the piece. There's a lot of classical flair complete with orchestra but it's probably a small orchestra.

This is possibly my least favorite Echolyn album. I commend them for trying something different and trying to push boundaries but in my opinion sometimes that works and sometimes that doesn't. This is only partially successful in my view. Here, it's just a bit too much for me. I always think I'm going to like this more and more with repeated listens but it still hasn't hit me the way their other stuff has and possibly never will. This would have been a great ep if the band took the best ideas and condensed them but as a 47 minute single piece track it's just a bit too long winded and even a bit boring for me although the disc does have it's moments. I love Echolyn as a band and think they are all very talented but this one just doesn't float my boat as much as their other stuff. Still, I recommend this to those who are fans of the band or those who like music with symphonic elements.

Prog_Traveller | 3/5 |