Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind CD (album) cover

PIECE OF MIND

Iron Maiden

Valarius
3 stars After the hugely successful album 'The Number of the Beast', the Metal world waited with baited breath to see how Iron Maiden would follow it up. Whilst many would consider this one of the bands finest releases, I consider this more of a transitional record.

Despite the arrival of vocalist Bruce Dickinson, I felt that their previous album was just another by-the- book release, with a tried-and-tested formula that had been used on their first two albums. However, this album starts very positively with the epic 'Where Eagles Dare', that shows a band that has matured and grown more confident. And whilst the group is making more use of harmonies and more bombastic vocal lines, overall I feel that the songs still lack that 'X Factor'.

Of course the band would perfect this sound on their next album 'Powerslave', but with 'Piece of Mind' I just feel that a lot of the songs are trial-and-error. 'Where Eagles Dare' and 'Flight of Icarus' are awesome tracks, and 'To Tame a Land' has its moments, but personally I find the rest of the songs pretty dull and boring. And to be honest, I think 'The Trooper', arguably the most popular track on this album, to be madly overrated.

This is far from the best Iron Maiden has to offer, but if you're a fan of the band you'll buy it anyway because whether you like it or not it's still a key moment in Maiden history.

Valarius | 3/5 |