Porcupine Tree - In Absentia CD (album) cover

IN ABSENTIA

Porcupine Tree

Prog_Traveller
5 stars "It's so erotic when your makeup runs. "

I suppose there is a good reason this album is featured in the top 100 here at Progarchives. I have kind of gone back and forth between whether I feel this a four or five star album. However, at the very least it is worthy of 4.5 stars.

Anyway, the music here is quintessential Porcupine Tree. It has the qualities of the albums before it as well as some of the heavier edge of the albums that followed it. I'm not too keen on the two after this but this album is really something special. It's arguable as to whether or not this was Porcupine Tree's big breakthrough album. It certainly did get them a larger audience in no small part due to the fact that they were touring with Yes around the time this album came out. It's also one of PT's most consistent and most popular albums among prog fans and probably among PT fans as well. This album also marks the first time Gavin Harrison makes an appearance as their new drummer(replacing Chris Maitland) and does a very fine job.

The album starts off with the memorable "blackest eyes." This song marks the first and only time I ever heard them on mainstream commercial radio(WZZO out of Allentown PA)back soon after it was released. Next up is another PT classic in "trains." This song reminds me of something off of either Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun(the two albums that preceded this). From here on end the songs seem to take turns between heavy and dreamy. Many people cite this as the first time the band experimented with metal sounds and while this is true for the most part the band has always had more than one mood or sound permeating their music. Even before this they had heavy moments but maybe they weren't as intense as some of the moments on here and later. On here there is probably more of a symphonic element and less of a spacey element although Porcupine Tree never seem to abandon any of their trademark qualities entirely and even the later albums include their distinct sound.

Over all, this is a must have album from the past decade and a perfect entry album for anyone who wants to check out Porcupine Tree. Closer to 5 stars than 4 so I'll round up and give it a five.

Prog_Traveller | 5/5 |