Spock's Beard - The Kindness Of Strangers  CD (album) cover

THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS

Spock's Beard

Flucktrot
3 stars With this album, the Beard are rounding into the version that I like best: fun, playful (but not tooooo playful!), consistent, and well-produced. There's nothing revolutionary here, but good prog is good prog, and there's plenty to be found on Kindness of Strangers.

Highlights: The Good Don't Last, June, Flow. The album gets off to a great start, as Good Don't Last fades in with a bright organ tone leading to a catchy, bouncy melody. The finale is particularly good, with Neal really selling the emotion vocally, and Alan right there on cue with some big, wailing guitar. Regarding June, almost all previous reviewers love the track, and I'm no different. A non-traditional power ballad that features beautiful harmonies, June makes the long wait for the cathartic climax well worth the effort.

For me, Flow represents a prequel for my favorite Beard tune: The Great Nothing. We have the teaser opening, introduction of the main theme, a series of playful (and, for me at least, enjoyable) sections, and then an emotional reprise. The formula may be simple, but the Beard have a wonderful sound when it involves Neal delivering passionate vocals, segueing to some heavy synths, thundering bass, and a big solo from Alan. They've got this down, and I can't get enough of it!

Overall, plenty of good material, but nothing particularly original. Regardless, I'm glad to have it.

Indeed, I will always think of "Kindness" with kindness!

Flucktrot | 3/5 |