Michael Manring - Toward the Center of the Night CD (album) cover

TOWARD THE CENTER OF THE NIGHT

Michael Manring

octopus-4
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars As almost all the Wyndham Hill catalog, I think this album, more than JR/F can be defined as New Age.

I have purchased it when it was released because in that period I was into new age music and I wasn't disappointed at all.

The distinctive element of this album is that there are no guitars. All the melodies are played by bass while the other instruments gives it a jazzy background. The music is relaxing and peaceful, like new age is used to be, and this is the contact point that I see between this kind of newage and prog.

Said so, there are some highlights of playing skills in tracks like "Geometry". I don't know if there's overdubbing. If not it's one of the greatest bass solos I've ever heard.

In few words, was this a newage site I would have given it a high rating because this album is good. But honestly I don't see how it can be considered progressive and this means that the rating can't exceed the 3 stars.

I think Michael Manring has later released something more progressive, but this definition doesn't apply to this album.

octopus-4 | 3/5 |