Pineapple Thief - Someone Here is Missing CD (album) cover

Pineapple Thief

2 stars This was, I think, my first 2010 new album purchase of the year, and I have held off from reviewing it until quite late in the year, mainly to give it a number of listens to see if it will grow on me and if I could start to enjoy it. Regrettably, I have not.

Actually, if I were a great fan of indie and post rock, or certainly writing a review for such a site, then this would probably rate at least a good album. However, on both criteria, I am not. This is a prog site, and i have to say that the only prog related reason this album is on the site is because of the painfully obvious similarities to Muse & Radiohead. I am not a fan of the former, so cannot really comment. I certainly do love Radiohead, and the simple fact of the matter is that that band do this type of stuff in a vastly superior manner to Pineapple Thief.

There are many culprits on this album, but if there are any worse derivative tracks than Wake Up The dead, then I would like to hear them. Basically, this is Yorke and greenwood, plus production effects, without the genius associated with those two.

If you have to own every single album by this band, then you will need to buy this. I do not.

Two stars for a decent enough (but not that good) indie album, but one that contains barely a hint of any form of progressive rock whatsoever.

lazland | 2/5 |