The Mars Volta - Tremulant  CD (album) cover

TREMULANT

The Mars Volta

Sinusoid
2 stars I guess The Mars Volta were waiting for DE-LOUSED to make a really smashing debut, but this is a nice tie-over. For the time, TREMULANT seems tailor-made to tease people with material from the leaders of At the Drive-In with a more progressive sound, only to expand upon this and make it better within a year. I'm speaking about this in the year 2010, and a fair portion of us know what happens next before we even figured out TREMULANT existed.

That's basically why I rate TREMULANT so low, not because it's bad but because it's not really an EP worth scouring every nook and cranny for. I'll go on record saying that ''Cut That City'' is the best song on here (so much ferocity), ''Concertina'' reminds me of another prog group in Paatos, and ''Eunuch Provocateur'' could've fit nicely on DE-LOUSED. I'll also go on the record saying that unless your love for the Mars Volta in unconditional or you had this in 2002, this EP is not essential.

Sinusoid | 2/5 |