Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear CD (album) cover

3 stars I heard this album the day it came to American record stores--my roommate bought it on the basis of album cover and proceeded to play it to death. While I was impressed that (finally!) a band was trying to imitate ("carry forward" I liked to say) the Gabriel-era GENESIS sound, I was dismayed with the quiet, murkiness of the sound--instruments and channels were so melded and quiet--I could hear the Gabriel-like vocals and Hackett-like guitar parts, and could see/hear the mythic references similar to GENESIS but it wasn't appealing--it wasn't catchy enough or inviting enough to draw me in, get me involved, get me to like it. I have the same "problem" with all Fish-era Marillion: it does more to put me off and irritate me than draw me in. Too pretentious, too imitative, too weak melodically and certainly lacking in the classical and folk influences that the originators drew from. I'll take Hogarth-era Marillion over this stuff any day.
BrufordFreak | 3/5 |