King Crimson - Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With CD (album) cover

King Crimson

Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars I guess this CD EP had more value when the "Power to Believe" album wasn't yet released, but we have here some different versions of familiar songs, along with few fine soundscapes ("Mie Gakure" for example) and otherwise unreleased impressions from the band's studio sessions. I'm not very fond of the title song I must admit, but the acoustic "Eyes Wide Open" is an interesting version of this great song. Also there are three short little parts with only Adrian's effected singing, maybe not most essential. "Potato Pie" is some sort of "ProzaKc Blues - part two", also not very pleasing for my ears, but the live version of Larks' Tongues in Aspic - part IV" is very fine. Note that the lyrics of "Coda" were dropped out after 11/9, as they mentioned "the bombing of World Trade Center".

What I appreciated is the long running time of this mini album, though some tracks could have been omitted, like the final mess named "Clouds". If you are interested of the 21st century line-up of this schizoid band, you may appreciate this release much more than me - I'm not a huge fan of this incarnation of King Crimson, but I admit that they can still create some good musical moments. On this release I think the ratio is about 50% good, 50% bad, that's about 15 minutes of both.

Eetu Pellonpaa | 2/5 |