Bullets In Madison - We Became Your Family When You Died CD (album) cover

Bullets In Madison

Post Rock/Math rock

3 stars The youth of today..........

Post rock is a genre I feel unsure about, being a middle aged man. I am fine with death and black metal, not to mention grindcore. But I still feel too old for post rock. The type of music Bullets In Madison plays.

This album is a free download too and I simply cannot understand why none of my able bodied, brainy fellow PA members has reviewed it before me. OK, that being a rant from a grumpy old man, but this album should really be a pretty big hit here in PA. Rant over.

The music here is deeply rooted in the world of Sigur Ros. Add some Radiohead too and you get this album. Bullets In Madison does not write songs. They paint songs. Big wall to wall sound painting with themes drawn out over several minutes. Riffs ? Hardly any. Themes ? There is ten of them. As many as there are tracks here.

Their paint brushes is guitars, sorrow filled vocals, some keyboards, violins (sampled ?), bass and drums. All of them competently played and very effective applied over the whole canvas.

Quality wise, this album is actually very good. My only gripe and this is a major gripe is the lack of any really great paintings (sometimes called songs/melodies) here. Hence I am reigning in my stars. But as a free download, you cannot go wrong with this album and it is one of the better free downloads out there. I am keeping an eye on this band, although I am probably too old for this genre.

3.5 stars