Jean-Michel Jarre - Les Chants Magnétiques (Magnetic Fields) CD (album) cover

LES CHANTS MAGNÉTIQUES (MAGNETIC FIELDS)

Jean-Michel Jarre

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
3 stars JM J's third album is also the last one I would recommend to progheads before JM J would become a bit megalomaniac later on , in the 80's. But I would rate this album , not as high as his prewvios two for the exact reasons a few of my colleagues reviewers rate it higher than the previous two: Tighter but less adventurous. I suppose it is all a matter of taste but the 80's are not a period I relish in prog or any other style of music because the technology was making most musicians lazy! Synths were easily available at the time and although still bettering (mostly in the reliability and other technichal areas) , they were really killing creativity.

Don't get me wrong , this is still a good JM J album but definitely not as adventuresome as both Oxygene and Equinoxe, and to me samplers were always cause for waryness.

Sean Trane | 3/5 |