Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse CD (album) cover

MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Cygnus X-2
4 stars Among the heavier Opeth albums, echoes of Akerfeldt's distinct roar are etched upon my mind as I write this review. From the beginning grand piano to the ending Hammond, this is a modern metal masterpiece. There is nothing disappointing about the album at all (although my sound quality was great).

The album begins with a haunting Prologue, which features Grand Piano as the lead instrument. The dissonant notes are the perfect intro the what would become some of their heaviest material. Throughout, Akerfeldt roars with emotion (if that is possible), and the brief acoustic ventures are among the most haunting they've ever accomplished. The lyrics on this album are also among the best they've produced, with lost love and remorse seering through the monstrous guitar riffs. My favorite tracks are Demon of the Fall, with a memorable guitar riff and stand out vocal work by Akerfeldt, and the instrumental Epilogue, which features an awesome guitar solo from Lindgren and awesome Hammond work, as well.

Overall, this is the best Opeth album to date in my opinion. 4.5/5.

Cygnus X-2 | 4/5 |