Dream Theater - Octavarium CD (album) cover

OCTAVARIUM

Dream Theater

Zitro
3 stars This is a good album, but below average for Dream Theater. It tries to be the second 'Images & Words" but it falls a bit flat.

The Root of All evil is a song about alcoholism and references 'The Dying Soul'. It is a good opener and while it is very simple, it is well constructed. It finishes with a grand piano finale 6.5/10

The Answer lies within is a decent mellow song in which the singer sings better than usual. 6/10

These Walls : mainstream sounding metal song. The keyboards are decent though. 5.5/10

I walk besides you : Another mainstream sounding song, reminiscent of U2 5/10

Panic Attack : An overrated song. It seems to repeat its good main theme that was began by the bass player over and over again until there is some uninspired soloing. 5.5/10

Never Enough : A song that while I heard it over 5 times, I had to go back and listen to it again because I didn't remember anything. Not very good, and sounds like Nu-metal. 5/10

Sacrificed Sons : This is an emotional song, and means a lot to the members. It is a tribute to the 9/11 tragedy, but I hate to admit that while the vocals are some of the best I heard of Labrie, the songwriting is not that strong in its instrumental section. It seems like they just wanted to solo around a bit. 7/10

Octavarium : not their best epic at all. I expected another 'seasons of Change' but they disappointed me with this. It is still a very solid epic that is influenced by pink floyd, yes, genesis, and other 70s bands. As a result, it sounds very 70s. 7.5/10

My Grade : C